Welcome to Bandtober!! Only THREE WEEKS left in the marching season. Let’s finish strong!
SMSD Marching Showcase Monday, October 2, 7pm @ SM South Stadium
Featuring all 5 SMSD high school marching bands performing their 2023 field shows. Parents, friends & families are strongly encouraged to attend (it’s free)! This is a great preview of what our marching festivals are like. View the festival memo here
- 5:15pm: Call time @SME. Dress into full uniforms (blue band shirts underneath); bring garment bag, gauntlets, etc.. NO HATS
- 5:30pm: Depart for SM South
- 6pm: Visual & Musical Warmup
- 7pm: Event begins (we are 3rd)
- 8:15pm: event finishes; load & return to SME
- 9pm: Band room closed
Parent volunteer signup:
Tuesday, 10/3, All Day – Meddy’s Prairie Village Fundraiser
- Lunch OR Dinner — dine at Meddy’s in Corinth Square. Must mention SME Band when ordering.
- See the flyer here
Thursday, 10/5 – Marching Band Rehearsal, 5:30pm-7:30pm @ SME
Friday, 10/6 – Final Football Game & GLOW SHOW @ SM SOUTH Stadium
Call time: 5:15pm @SME. FULL UNIFORM. Dress in uniform bottoms, speedsters/black socks & show shirts before leaving SME. Bring overlays, hats & garment bags with you to SMS.
- 5:45pm: Depart SME
- 6:45: Pregame
- 1st-2nd Quarter: Play in stands
- Halftime: Full show run
- 3rd Quarter: Break
- 4th Quarter: Play in stands/prep for glow show
- 10 Minutes after game ends: Perform FULL SHOW!
Glow Show Detials: Students will dress in lights (battery-powered LEDs work best), glowsticks, etc, and we will perform the show in the dark after the football game!
Volunteer Signups: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0A4DAEA622ABF94-44766454-fbgame
Saturday, 10/7 — Olathe Marching Invitational.
- PRELIMS performance @ 1:45pm. FINALS performance TBD (will be between 6-9pm). All bands participate in both prelims AND finals. Performance schedule is on page 8 of the directors’ packet
- View itinerary here
- Event is open to the public: Adults $10, students/seniors $5, children free (all forms of payment accepted)
- Volunteer signups: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0A4DAEA622ABF94-44766840-olathe
Ongoing Events & Info
- This year we are in charge of nearly all home sporting event concession stand sales at SME. it’s a tremendous money-making opportunity for the program, but we need your help! If all students and parents worked at least 1 shift, we would have every shift covered. Please sign up here
- Thank you to all who have volunteered so far!
KSMEA All-District Honor Band Tryouts
Auditions are quickly approaching (first weekend in November). Below are the materials that were passed out in May. If you have not begun preparing, please do so now!
From the Band Boosters
- SME Concession Sales volunteers – Please sign up to help! Students and parents needed, multiple dates
- Parents: Save money on admissions to Home Football and Basketball games to watch the band! Buy an All-Sports Boosters Activity Pass
- Chaperone MVP Certification — mandatory for bus chaperones, trip chaperones, and valid for FOUR years. Look ahead and get certified now if you plan on being a chaperone! (it’s free)
- If you have a family-run business, or work for a local business, please consider having them become a corporate sponsor of our band program. The flyer attached outlines what the company will get for their tax-deductible sponsorship . They can sponsor a specific show for $100, a band (i.e. marching or jazz, etc.) for $500, or the entire program for $2,500 for the year. We would also welcome family sponsorships. Contact Corp Sponsor Chair, Sheryl Hampton, at firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved!
- Order Additional Show Show Shirts & Sunglasses: Parents, families and friends — order a show shirt and/or sunglasses, available here
Join the Band App!
- Please make sure everyone has downloaded the Band App — ‘real-time’ announcements, schedules, information
- Students & Parents may also post pictures & videos
- Please use (real) full name, photo in your profile
- Join the Band App here
- Have you paid your band fees for 2023-2024?
Thanks to Mr. Stinky Feet for sponsoring the 2023 Marching Lancers!