Weekly Announcements 09/07-09/12 2020
Students and parents,
Here we are, about to embark on a year none of us will forget! We are very excited to begin the journey of remote/hybrid learning and focus on the mission of the SME Band Program: to create a welcoming environment for growth through music. I’ve pulled together some important information so your family will have the most accurate information to be successful this first week.
Most important item for students: If you have not done so, students should log into their district devices and perform any needed updates. If you have not logged in since April, your computer will likely not work and you will need to take it to SME to troubleshoot.
Check your school email! Especially look for emails from Dr. Sherman, Dr. Leonard, Mr. Haney and Mr. Storey.
Download WebEx Meetings through “Manager” on your MacBook loading dock. Due to contractual obligations and safety precautions, we are no longer able to use Zoom for instructional purposes.
Bookmark your Band Meeting Space addresses . All of your band classes will use one of these two links. All you have to do is log in at the right time:
- Marching Band, Jazz 1 & Jazz 2, Music Theory, Seminar: https://smsd.webex.com/meet/alextoepfer
- Freshmen/Cadet Band: https://smsd.webex.com/meet/emilybabcock
Schedule for Tuesday 9/8 (freshmen/seniors only):
- At 7:40am, all students will join the “Lancer Welcome” website, located here: https://sites.google.com/smsd.org/lancersreturn/home?authuser=0 (check out the epic picture of the band they put on the site…photo credit Mason Goodmon)
- Click the tab “freshmen” or “seniors” to view your schedule for the day.
- We will NOT be playing the first day.
Schedule for Wednesday 9/9 (all students)
- Block schedule, hours 1-4. See Virtual Bell Schedule PDF.
- We WILL be playing Wednesday!
- Percussionists not on drumline: practice pads, bell kits, or auxiliary percussion.
- Please let us know if you do not have an instrument.
“ Week-at-a-glance” plans: All teachers will be sending out a ‘week-at-a-glance” for each class. We will incorporate those documents into the weekly announcements we normally send throughout the year. This email will serve as this week’s “glance”.
Senior Band Pictures – we will be sending out the date soon…shooting for the next 2 weeks or so. It has been postponed while we’ve been in limbo the past few weeks, but we have not forgotten. Thanks for your patience!!
Band Booster Meeting – the September Band Booster meeting will be on September 15th at 6:30PM. I need to check permission from the district to use Zoom calls for parent meetings. As soon as I get clarification I will send out an invite.
Beatles – “Come Together 2020” : The SME Band Leadership students have picked out a theme for our marching band show and we will begin working on these songs this week: Elanor Rigby, Come Together, Blackbird, Yesterday, and Magical Mystery Tour. We are unsure what the performances will look like, but we are going to do our best! I thought the title of “Come Together” was especially apropos for this situation we are all in.