Marching Band Information:
- Rehearsal Tuesday, 9/22, 6-8pm @ SME. Meet on the football field on the west side of SME
- NO Rehearsal Thursday, 9/24 — Back To School Night for teachers/parents (see info from Dr. Sherman)
- Materials needed: Lyre & flip folders (wind players), pregame & pep band music, athletic closed-toe footwear, masks, bell covers, water bottle
- Students please check Canvas for all music — download “Come Together”
- Football Pep Band Friday 9-25 @ SM South High School, 5800 W 107th St, Overland Park, KS 66207
- Pep Band Attire: SME Band Jacket (will be handed out to new members this week), Blue SME Band shirt, shorts/jeans, athletic shoes
- We are allowed to have 50 students participate. Rosters will be announced Monday 9/21 based on the student participation survey sent out last week.
- Each student participating will receive 2 tickets for family members. Close family and/or bubble groups only. Siblings 10-under are admitted with no ticket required but must remain with parents.
- We have 2 buses available for transportation of students and equipment. The buses will leave SME @ 5:45pm, and return at approximately 9:45pm
- Students and parents may transport themselves or others provided they fill out the district Transportation Permission form, which is posted here. Please return this form by Friday, 9/25. Electronic submissions (PDF/PNG) are encouraged.
- Please review SMSD/KSHSAA “best practices for COVID-19 mitigation”, which are outlined HERE and HERE.
- All students must submit the SME Band COVID-19 Self Assessment prior to each rehearsal. Students can scan a QR Code before entering a facility or bus, or may fill out the form ahead of time by following this link
Senior Recognition Information
- Seniors & Senior Parents — please look for an email from Katherine Muehlberger about senior pictures, which was sent out last week. Whether you are in Marching Band, Jazz Band, or a spring ensemble, we need your participation!
- Marching Band Senior Night — Thursday, 10/15. Information will be sent out soon about activities, gifts & recognition.
Jazz Band Information
- Students should be working on their various assignments based on the jazz standard “Autumn Leaves”. We have been studying recordings by Miles Davis & Cannonball Adderley, and will be listening to recordings by Paul Desmond/Chet Baker, as well as Bill Evans this week.
- Students will be learning the melody, chord progressions & ‘guide tones’ and submitting recordings. They have backing tracks and reference recordings that they can play along with…ask your kids to share what they’ve learned!
Music Theory Information
We will continue studying the fundamentals of harmony & rhythm: circle of 4ths/5ths, major/minor scale identification & formulas. We will begin studying intervals, identifying by sight and by ear.
Freshmen/Cadet Band Information
We will review the DCI reflections and continue our work on scales, chord progressions, chorales & individual technical skills. Please check Canvas for the assignments & modules this week!