Important: At the special SMSD Board of Education meeting on September 9th, the BOE voted to resume fall sports and activities. What this means for band:
- Marching Band may rehearse in-person beyond the school day. Since we are still in the “remote learning” mode, students may not be in the building except for gathering materials or using the restroom.
- We will hold Marching Band rehearsals every Tuesday and Thursday evening, beginning this Tuesday, 9/15, from 6pm-8pm on the SME football field. Attendance at these rehearsals is 100% optional. SMSD/KSHSAA “best practices for COVID-19 mitigation” will be strictly enforced, which are outlined HERE and HERE.
- All students will be required to fill out a form based on this daily COVID-19 Questionnaire prior to participating.
- Immediate action requested: Please fill out this form and indicate your participation preference, so we can get an accurate feel for our instrumentation and level of participation.
- Jazz Bands are currently not allowed to rehearse outside of the school day. I am told that only current KSHSAA-sponsored fall activities are approved (i.e. football, tennis, marching band, etc).
- Marching Band students will be performing as a smaller pep band for home football games. Due to SMSD restrictions, we are only allowed 50 student participants for each game. We will bring a split, rotating squad to each game. Those dates are now on the band calendar, with our first performance on September 25th. Attendance at these performances is 100% optional.
- Each participating student will receive two tickets for parents/family. Students under 10 years of age may attend without a ticket, as long as they are directly supervised by parents. Parents may give tickets to other family members or friends, but there will be no student section, and students not participating in the event will not be admitted.
- Please read the SMSD Spectator Guidelines linked here
- Transportation to football games will be available. We are limited to 25 occupants per bus, and our bus budget has not increased. Therefore, the district is allowing the following options:
- Parents may transport their own children, or members of an agreed-upon ‘bubble group’. All bubble groups must be documented in writing prior to the date of the performance.
- Students may transport themselves, siblings or members of a ‘bubble group’ provided there is written documentation prior to the date of the performance.
Band Senior Banner Pictures
We currently have two dates for Senior banner pictures: 9/23 and 9/30 in the evening. Please mark those dates on your calendar. More information will be coming soon about the time and location of these sessions.
Band Booster Meeting 9/15
The Band Boosters will be meeting Tuesday, 9/15 at 6:30pm via Zoom. I will send out a meeting link that afternoon.