Marching Band Week-At-A-Glance
- Rehearsal Tuesday, 9/29, 6-8pm @ SME. Meet on the football field on the west side of SME
- Rehearsal Thursday, 10/1, 6-8pm @ SME.
- Materials needed: Lyre & flip folders (wind players), all music, athletic closed-toe footwear, masks, bell covers, water bottle
- Football Pep Band Friday and Band Senior Night, 10-2 @ SM NORTH High School, 7:00pm. 7401 Johnson Dr, Overland Park, KS 66202. See senior night info below for more details
- Pep Band Attire (non-seniors): SME Band Jacket, Blue SME Band shirt, shorts/jeans, athletic shoes
- We are allowed to have 50 students participate. Rosters will be announced Monday 9/28. Seniors, siblings, and volunteers based on instrumentation needs will attend.
- Each non-senior student participating will receive 2 tickets for family members. Close family and/or bubble groups only. Siblings 10-under are admitted with no ticket required but must remain with parents.
- Students should pick up their tickets at rehearsal Tuesday or Thursday. We can give a limited amount of tickets the night of the game at will-call. There is only one main entrance at SM North, so this will be a much easier process than last week!
- We have 1 bus available for transportation of students and equipment. The bus will leave SME @ 5:30pm, and return at approximately 9:45pm.
- Students not riding the bus should meet at SMN by 5:50pm.
- Students and parents may transport themselves or others provided they fill out the district Transportation Permission form, which is posted here. Please return this form by Friday, 10/2 if you have not already. Electronic submissions (PDF/PNG) are encouraged.
- Please review SMSD/KSHSAA “best practices for COVID-19 mitigation”, which are outlined HERE and HERE.
- All students must submit the SME Band COVID-19 Self Assessment prior to each rehearsal. Students can scan a QR Code before entering a facility or bus, or may fill out the form ahead of time by following this link
Marching Band Senior Night Friday 10/2/2020 Details
- All seniors please fill out the senior information form linked here, and return to Katie Muehlberger. Please complete and return to email@example.com ASAP. They were due today but we are extending to tomorrow, as some emails went to your junk folders.
- Senior Pictures Wednesday, 9/30. I heard great reports from last week’s photo shoot. Can’t wait to see them!
- Senior marching uniform checkout — we will check out uniforms before, during & after rehearsals on Tuesday & Thursday this week, 5pm-8:30pm. Please contact a director ASAP if you are unable to attend.
- Friday Night: Beginning at 6pm, Seniors and parents meet on southwest corner of the track (where we stage props, cases and equipment) and line up alphabetically. Please maintain proper distancing and wear masks. The recognition ceremony will begin at 6:15pm
- Seniors will be allotted 4 tickets for family members over the age of 10.
- Seniors and family escorts will spread out on the track. As each name is read, families will step forward for recognition and a picture.
- After the ceremony, the seniors will perform the school song on the track for the crowd before joining the rest of the band in the stands for pregame.
Cadet (Freshman) Band Week-At-A-Glance
- Monday – Continue with warm-ups, introduce scale pass-offs
- Wednesday – Warm-ups, pass-off Bb scale, new music posted
- Friday – Warm-ups, download tuner app, work on new music, pitch tendency chart
Jazz Band Week-At-A-Glance
- Sunday (9/27) “Autumn Leaves” lead sheet/chord tones assignment from last week is due
- Tuesday/Thursday: Scale permutations, prepare KMEA Auditions (Work Song, Unit 7), ii-V7-I lick-of-the-week, listening activity
- Friday: Livestream with members from the Kansas City Jazz Orchestra from 1:30-2:00pm. Part of our “Fun Music Friday” series for SMSD Music Students. Featuring: Clint Ashlock (trumpet) James Albright (bass), Charles Williams (piano), Doug Talley (saxophone), and more. A WebEx link will be provided for all students (not just jazz students). If you are free during that time period, you are welcome to attend!
Music Theory Week-At-A-Glance
- Sunday (9/27). Chromatic Interval worksheet due
- Tuesday/Thursday: Scale & interval ear-training, spelling diatonic & chromatic intervals, introduction to triads & diatonic chords. IB Music guidelines and due dates, materials/preparation
- Friday: Adam Neely music theory & history video & reflection